Related Item

Bangladesh: 95 percent Dalit cleaners lived in poverty

Around ninety-five percent of leaners of Natore district lived in a dirty state at the sweepers’ colony due to very low salary of their works.

They could not support their family members as well as could not gear up their fate. Even if, they did not send their children to the educational institutions for own interest.

There are around 2000 Sweeper members out of around 600 families. Among them, around 30 percent engaged in government job and got the sufficient salaries while the rest of 70 percent works as master roll workers. They worked at different offices and received very low salaries. They passed their whole lives as the master roll workers and afterwards their inheritors received the job but the authorities did not make their job permanent. They got 700 to 1100 taka per month and did not receive any bonus or pension. They compelled to take various cleaning works at more than one offices or huts to bear their lives.

They passed their whole lives in a very needy state and did not think to improve their fate and government are not taking any initiative. They lived in government colonies era to era but could not build any residence after buying any lands. Even, they could not make their colony-room as their wish and lay down in the door-opened floors. As a result, their young children went on the rough ways and contacted unsocial activities.

Babu Bhuinmali, son of late Joga Bhuinmali said, Dighapatia Raja Prosonnonath roy brought his grandfather’s father Ponchon Jomader along with his families from Urishwa of India at the British tenure and engaged in cleaning works at the royal palace .The king also made a colony at Dighapatia bazaar for their living. After the end of the king’s ruling, their relatives took shelter at the municipal colony of Pilkhana area in the city. Around 95 percent of their followers lived in various colonies of Natore, Bonpara, Naldanga, station bazaar and Malonchi.

On respond to a query Babu said, only 10 to 12 children out of the 2000 members received the higher education but all of them went out of their caste. They went out of them and a barricade stood still between them and their sons to contact following their social rules. As a result, they did not want to send their sons to take the higher education. On the other hand, their society members could not save their daughters at the colony as the maximum male sweepers use to drink the gifted wine of the citizens and became imbalanced. They compelled to marry their daughters at their early age.

The conscious sweepers urged the government to allot them the various Khash land elsewhere in the district as well as urge to make them as the permanent service holder so that, they can build their separate residence and improve their lives to meet the real streams of the modern society.

No Associated files

Date: 29/11/2012




Culture and Tradition
Religion/Religious minorities

Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Unported License

Press Contact Information

Name: Preobala Biswas

Telephone: +88028130480

This website has been produced with the financial assistance of the European Union.
The contents of this website are the sole responsibility of Minority Rights Group International and can under no circumstances be regarded as reflecting the position of the European Union